The rainy season is just around the corner and you may be surprised to find out that your foolproof outfits for the summer, just won’t work during the monsoon. If you are lucky enough to be traveling during this time of year, then you may continue to wear your linen suits and leather loafers on the coasts of Amalfi or the South of France. Meanwhile, the rest of us will try to find a way to come to terms with the rain and the drama that comes along with it. The biggest issue with the monsoon is not the rain per se, but the humidity that comes along with it. This means that clothes and accessories, even those that are in your closet, can get ruined during this season.
Caring for your clothes during the monsoon, especially those that are valuable to you (like a made-to-measure suit from Herringbone & Sui, for example) is extremely important. The first thing you need to do is invest in some good quality fabric bags to put your clothes in. These need to be made of a natural, breathable fabric to allow for enough circulation of air. Secondly, if you can buy a dehumidifier and keep that running, you will prevent a lot of damage to both your clothes and furniture. You also get dehumidifying tablets and bags which you can place in your closet. The third thing you want to take care of is an excess dirt or lint. Make sure you brush all your suits and trousers with a lint brush before and after wearing them, and especially before putting them in your closet.
Though the monsoon does have a tinge of romanticism to it, more than anything, it can be inconvenient and messy. In order to continue looking as good as you do through this season you should consider wearing pieces like these.
- A classic trench coat: not only will this protect you from the rain but it adds a stylish finish to your corporate wardrobe.
- A waterproof parka: if you know that you may be outdoors for extended periods of time during the monsoon, you need to wear a parka over your clothes because even umbrellas can’t protect you from every angle.
- Water-resistant laptop bag: this is incredibly important. You never know when you might get caught in the rain so getting a bag that is both trendy and durable is essential.
- Waterproof fabrics: Herringbone & Sui is one of the only brands in India that has access to waterproof technology that can be applied to high quality suits and garments. Through our partners in Europe, we can make you a suit that will not absorb and actually repel water, to keep you dry during the monsoon.
- Umbrellas: an obvious requirement during the monsoon. You can buy a small compact umbrella that will fit into your briefcase or laptop bag so you always have one hand free.
The monsoon may cause a few issues when it comes to looking good while staying dry however with these tips, hopefully you won’t let the rain get to you!